Sobell House and Oxford University Hospitals Foundation Trust (OUHFT) have committed to expanding the specialist palliative care team working across the Oxfordshire hospitals as well as increasing the service hours. Central to this initiative will be education and training for hospital staff. The increase in the specialist team will deliver more care and grow the pool of knowledge regarding end of life care across Oxfordshire.
The charity has pledged additional funds for Sobell House and OUHFT to expand its specialist palliative care team. In 2016 the specialist palliative care team will welcome:
- Two additional medical consultants to deliver and extend palliative and end of life care for complex patients approaching end of life.
- A specialist pharmacist to help with pain management.
- Two occupational therapist specialists to offer emotional support to patients and families.
- Three nurses to increase availability of weekend care.
- An analyst or perhaps researcher to evaluate the programme ensuring that it delivers care of high quality and meets need cost effectively.
- Administrative support.
This additional resource will enable the specialist palliative team to provide a service across all of the trust’s four hospitals seven days a week from 8.30am to 6pm. This team will provide critical and timely advice and support to ward staff and clinical teams caring or those patients at the end of their lives across the four hospitals.