The Hospital Palliative Care Team is a group of specialist palliative care doctors, nurses and other professionals who provide a service within the John Radcliffe, Churchill and Nuffield Orthopaedic Hospitals. The team is part of the palliative care service at Sobell House, and our role is to support the care of people facing life-limiting illness when they are in hospital.
We become involved in your care when the medical and nursing teams looking after you in hospital refer you to us. We work alongside the ward teams in an advisory capacity. We will visit you on the ward and carry out an assessment of how your illness is affecting you, and we suggest ways to improve problems you may be experiencing. With your agreement we can also talk with your family members, friends and carers.
Following our assessment, we will discuss our advice with the ward team looking after you. The hospital ward medical and nursing team will continue to lead and coordinate your care.
Our team can:
- Help with physical symptoms to make you as comfortable as possible
- Offer emotional support to you and those close to you
- Offer practical support to you, your family and friends
- Discuss concerns you may have about your illness
- Liaise with other people involved in your care, such as your GP and District Nurse
- Tell you about other palliative care services that may be available to you now or in the future.
The team can be contacted on weekdays between 9am and 4pm at 01865 225 863 (or internal ext. 25863) / FAX 01865 857 038 for the Churchill and NOC office, and 01865 221 741 (or internal ext. 21741) / FAX 01865 221 947 for the John Radcliffe office.
For weekends 9am to 4pm all calls should be made to 01865 857036 (or internal ext. 57036) and all out of hours calls to 01865 225 873 (or internal ext. 25873)